OPEN HOUSE SUNDAY MARCH 24, 2-4 pm at 211 Graves Rd in Ellisville, MS. Come see this mini-farm with 12.5 acres and large house. Tag your friends!
We had a visit with Realtors from California who became fast friends. Wednesday morning we spent time together talking about Laurel MS and even looking at some houses near downtown. They are considering a move for retirement. What a joy to have met Diane and Dave Rodrigues! We saw them later eating at Pearl’s Diner. They talked about how friendly everyone is in Laurel and happy to get to know our HomeTown! Welcome Diane and Dave!
HOW TO GET A BUYER FROM THE CURB INTO YOUR HOUSE WITH CURB APPEAL
A prospective buyer sees a listing online and decides to take a “drive-by” before calling a Realtor. We all know that the first impression can help that buyer make the call or just keep driving. So, what does it take to get that “passerby” to connect with your house?
Let’s start from the street. Is your house “eye-catching”? Does it say “welcome” or “go away”? What buyers see on the outside is a precursor to what they think may be on the inside. Going from Drab to Fab will make a world of difference. Here are some affordable ideas to get you started.
- Yard Manicure: Cut the lawn; trim overgrown bushes and trees that block windows and the entrance; pull the weeds; rake; edge; add sod or plant grass seeds where you have bare spots; and mulch. This is sweat equity!
- Color Interest: Add instant color with annuals, such as marigolds, petunias, and geraniums. Plant hostas with begonias or impatiens for pops of color in shady areas. Boxwoods are great for background to your beds and boarders.
- Check the mailbox: Is it falling down or crooked? Need a new post? Mailbox? Numbers? Plant a small garden around it to entice curiosity.
- Fences add Value or maybe they don’t: Is your fence decayed and broken? Does it need power washing or painting? Add new life to that fence with a little maintenance.
FACT: Landscaping improves home value 5.5% to 12.7% depending on type.
Now let’s get past the yard and up the driveway.
- Power Wash: While you are power washing that grimy fence, work on the driveway, sidewalk, brick, pavers, windows, and siding. You’ll be amazed how it brightens the entrance.
- Gutters: Clean out those gutters and replace broken ones. You don’t want buyers thinking right away that they have to repair something before even entering the house.
- Windows should sparkle: Make sure you scrape and paint any wood windows. Some bank financing will require it anyway. Might as well do it. Replace, repair, and/or paint window shutters.
- Window boxes: Make sure you get a professional to add your window boxes. They are heavy, especially with moisture. Animal life that may find them delightful also.
- Eyesores: Walk around your house to check for broken siding that needs replacing, leaky faucets, and broken steps that need repair. Garbage cans and AC units can be camouflaged with lattice or vinyl fencing.
FACT: Garage door replacement will give 98% return on investment. Doors with windows add light to the interior.
Say “WOW” at the front porch and Entryway.
- Clean, clean, clean. Wash away all mildew, rust, spider webs, dirt dauber/wasp nests, and mold. Remove any clutter that may have collected over the years.
- Create a relaxing, outdoor seating area, birdbath, windchimes, or garden spot to bring the buyer closer.
- Add potted plants with seasonal flowers.
- Let people know where the front door is. Create a pathway to the door with pavers, solar lighting, borders of flowers, and/or brick edging.
- Make the front door pop! Frame the front door with crown molding. A fresh coat of Paint will dress it up. Add a bright, seasonal door wreath. Upgrade the hardware, knocker, handles, peephole, door numbers, doormat, and porch lighting. Adding pizzazz is a dramatic WIN-WIN.
FACT: According to Home Advisor, adding a new roof will boost the value of your home 109% of the original investment. It is crucial to make your house as appealing as possible from the street. Instead of bland and uninspired, a fresh, inviting exterior will say “Y’all Come” with southern hospitality!
Call Nedra Carter at Carter Real Estate for a consultation. 601-319-1950.
Friday’s Words of Wisdom
Our Realtors at Carter Real Estate live each day trusting the Lord even when we don’t understand the pathway.
184 OLD SOSO RD in LAUREL MS. Open House Sunday, Feb 10th, 1-3 pm in West Jones near Lake Heritage Subdivision off Hwy 28 W. New construction with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 1600 sq ft. 1.6 acre. Public is invited. 601-319-1950 Carter Real Estate. Directions: From Laurel, go west on Hwy 84; turn right on Hwy 28 W; turn right on Old Soso Rd; follow signs.
Carter Real Estate loves Home Town episodes filmed in Laurel MS. As a realtor, finding the perfect home is part of our job. This week two artists need more space and have an exciting house hunt.